Thursday, March 4, 2010

Feels like sharing..

I took parenting education subject this semester and I had to do an assignment, Parenting Education from Islamic Perspective. Alhamdulillah, I managed to get it done on time. InsyaAllah I want to share what I have presented in class with fellow readers.

Before we go further, let’s take a look at the definition of parenting education –

Purposive activities aimed at ensuring the survival and development of children (Masud Hoghuhi & Nicholas Long, 2004)

Survival – teaching and equipping our children with necessary tools and skills in order to adapt to our society.

Development – it should be involve every aspect in our children life that is psychology, physical, cognitive, emotional and spiritual.

Keep in mind parents, the survival and development has to be done according to Al-Quran and As-Sunnah. InsyaAllah.

One of the key point why Hassan al-Banna succed (insyaAllah) in conducting Ikhwanul Muslimin is because he is fully aware of his reality during his age in Egypt (Abdullah Zaik, 2010). He studied his current society and managed to done his da’wah successfully.

As parents, we are the leaders in our children lives whether or not we are aware of it. InsyaAllah, we have to know our challenges nowadays. Be fully aware of what era we live in. Some may call it globalizations, others may name it zaman fahsha’ dan mungkar. Whatever you may label it, the truths is, we are living in a society that faces challenges in almost every aspect of our life. Our main enemy – Yahudi – introduces way of living that is far away from Islamic believes. As Islamic parents we do know that our children will be our asset duniawi ukhrawi. Educating and nurturing them based on Al-Quran and As-Sunnah can prevent us (the parents) from be thrown to Hell, nauzubillah.

The second caliph, Saidina Umar al-Khattab r.a (Abdullah Nasih Ulwan, 1991) advices us parents to educate our children according to their zaman. Yes, our sons can wear jeans but don’t ‘teach’ them to look down on serban. Wallahualam.

Ok, now I want to emphasize the principles of parenting. This is extremely important and has to be aware by everybody (parents, children, counsellors, teachers etc).

1st, Allah s.w.t guide us the limitations in obedience towards human. Allah s.w.t. stated in Luqman: 14-15,

And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship and his weaning in two years gave thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destinations.

But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly. And follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to me will be your return and I shall tell you what you used to do.

There is a significant story behind this verse related to Saad b Abi Waqas (the dialog he had with his mother). Obeying parents is wajib to every child. No doubt about it, but it depends on the teaching and the preaching the parents indoctrinate towards their children. We as Allah’s slave do not obey anyone who is against Allah but as children it is our duty to behave to our parents kindly. Later in Padang Mahsyar, it is up to Allah to decide. Behave nicely to parents is compulsory despite the differences we may have with them such as different aqidah. Allah s.w.t presents me an experience with an adolescent. I had a dialog with this girl. I asked her, “Why are you not wearing tudung?” She replied, “I wanted to but Ibu said maybe when I got older. Now is time to play dress up.”

I kept myself silent. I know the teenage girl already reached puberty, which means if she commit sins, then there should be a punishment, wallahualam. Honestly, we can’t even bear the fire in this world. How can we tolerate the fire in Hell later? Nauzubillah. Wearing tudung or menutup aurat to be precisely is no longer a big issue in some of the Islamic family (sadly). The truth is menutup aurat is WAJIB. We take Allah’s order carelessly. Astaghfirullahalazim.

On 2nd principle I’d like to discuss the order from Allah in Surah At-Tahrim:6.

O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and from your families a fire (Hell).

As people with Iman and Taqwa inside, let’s help our families practice Islam in everyday life. Trust me, it is the best style of living not only in the world but also later in the Hereafter. Hope it’s not too late to preach to our family. If we don’t have the courage to speak it out loud just practice the Al-Quran and As-Sunnah in our everyday life. InsyaAllah, our family will follow. However, do keep in mind, that Taufiq and Hidayah are belong solely to Allah. Try not to get upset with your family members who don’t practice Islam fully, just model Islam moderately and consistently till the day we die insyaAllah.

Then to me will be your return and I shall tell you what you used to do. (Lukman:15)

No comments: